Sunday, July 25, 2010

Camp Nelson



A couple Mondays ago after getting the chance to have lunch with my good friend, Carrie, in Danville, I decided to stop and take a look around Camp Nelson off US 27 in Jessamine County. The camp is divided into two parts: the cemetery and the historic park. I stopped first at the historic national cemetery; a resting place for heroic veterans dating all the way back to the Civil War.

Having two grandfathers that served in World War II, epic American pride and a slightly twisted affinity towards cemeteries, it was a place that I was pretty excited to visit. It was a lovely resting place on a windy hilltop in Kentucky complete with its regal military layout. A place that makes you aware of the sacrifice that freedom requires.

Camp Nelson was an outpost on the western frontier during the War Between the States (a nod to my Southerness considering it was a Union post) that was most notable for its large number of African-American troops. I made my up to the history focused part of the camp which is a jump up the road from the cemetery. Unfortunately, I was five minutes late for the last tour that was already in progress so that will be a post for another day.

Both places are open to the public and free of charge and basically open dawn 'til dusk. Just be aware there is a tour schedule (which I was not).

No comments: