Monday, July 12, 2010

Lexington Farmer's Market



Saturday morning took me on my first trip to the Lexington Farmer's Market. Located in the Cheapside Pavilion and on the grounds of the old courthouse; it's become a Lexington tradition and a place to see and be seen. I got the chance to make my first trip with my brother, Parker. Parking was easy 'cause it's a Saturday morning and the downtown parking rules are pretty lax. The place was teeming with energy...lots of people, vibrant colors everywhere, fresh food, art, live music...simply great. I was a little overwhelmed at first. We started wading through the crowds and found ourselves surrounded by the freshest vegetables, fruits and flowers Kentucky has to offer. I bought the best cantaloupe (from Casey County) that I've had all summer and some super fun purple bell peppers (from Jessamine County). On top of that there's artisan Kentucky cheeses, wine, fresh beef, honey, baked goods and an entire section devoted to local artists. Make sure you come hungry to try all the samples and some unique food vendors including a mobile pizza oven and crepes which I got to enjoy stuffed with cheese, spinach and country ham.

Go early 'cause we got there around 10:30 and a lot of vendors were already sold out their ripest produce.

There are markets hosted throughout the week, but your big one is Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

No comments: