Tuesday, June 8, 2010

McConnell Springs





Today my brother and I set out on a real LEXploration to McConnell Springs. We made a detour on our way back from visiting a church in Versailles. I decided to make it one of my first stops in Lexington, fitting because it's where Lexington's first settlers were. Trevor's driven past it many times and never ventured in so when we drove through a run down, industrial part of Lexington I was taken aback and thought this was going to turn out bad. You literally have to drive through an asphalt company to get there. Then suddenly, you pull up to this beautiful stone building, walk through the gates and enter this little restored piece of nature. Trevor and I walked almost all the trails in about an hour through the restored woodlands down to the springs. These beautiful artesian springs come up out of the ground flowing with beautiful water in the middle of a black locust grove. Lots of benches along the way would make it a perfect place to relax and maybe have a little lunch. I can't believe this is in the middle of downtown, industrial Lexington.

I loved this place!

For more info http://www.mcconnellsprings.org/

The left photo is of "The Blue Hole" which is a 15 foot deep sinkhole that the first spring comes out of. The photo on the right is of the water as it makes it's way to the final sinkhole before it disappears under the ground again.

Admission is free.

3 comments:

kate said...

i love that you are doing this blog!! i'm finding out about all kinds of stuff i never knew about before -- what a great idea :)

H W Sherwood said...

That makes me happy! I really want to see the city I live in more than the Nicholasville Rd corridor. You'll have to come on a LEXploration with me!

Peter Brackney said...

I'm following! Hope you are keeping up with the Kaintuckeean! We'll have to swap ideas sometime.